Are you a first time home buyer? Then you will have an entire list of things to check off before you actually buy a home. If you are an Indian aspiring homeowner then you have the added burden of coming up with around 10%-20% down payment amount for buying your first home. Most of us try to come up with this down payment amount in the form of our savings, borrowings from friends/family, dissolving financial assets or selling an old property if one has or taking a personal loan from a bank. These are the most common ways of raising funds for meeting your home down payment needs.
I am sure many Indians must know of the DPA Grants that are available to citizens of other countries like USA, Australia, etc when it comes to buying a home if only because it makes their life easier and helps them to settle down in the home of their choice. Limited down payment capital means having a financial cap on the kind of home you can buy for your first home. Then you have to make do with whatever homes are available in your price range.
Now, thanks to the HomeCapital Program, assistance is available to Indian first time home buyers as well. The assistance is in the form of up to half of the home down payment required and that, too, interest-free. Following are the eligibility criteria for the HomeCapital down payment assistance:
- You must be salaried and employed with a reputed company
- You must satisfy credit standards of partner financial institutions for down payment assistance
- The partner assessment parameters relate to monthly income levels, existing financial obligations, financial track record, education, and work experience
- You must qualify for a mortgage loan from leading financial institutions
- The program is applicable to participating properties only
Thus, now is an interesting time to be a first time home buyer in India!